Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Frustration Abounds

So yesterday was both extremely productive and extremely frustrating.  By the end of the evening, I was practically in tears and ready to throw out the entire project.  I started by attempting to complete the foiling of the project.  I spent most of the day recutting glass and making sure everything fit just perfect.  By early afternoon, the foiling project was complete!

Foiling Complete!

After foiling, I began rough soldering.  First, I painted flux on the copper and soldered the pieces of glass together at the joints.

Joints Soldered!

Once that was done, I could remove the metal bars thumb-tacked around the piece that held everything in place.  I then painted flux over all of the copper and began rough soldering everything.  And that is when everything started to go wrong.  I believe some of the flux seeped under my foil and caused it to unstick.  At first, it wasn't too bad - I lost an eye on my mushroom, but I'm pretty sure it's easily fixed.
Rough Soldering on Side 1 Complete

I completed the rough soldering on the first side, went to flip the piece over, and that's when I discovered that the flux had also seeped under some of the other foil in ways that are not easily fixed.

At this point, I'm not really sure what to do.  I've found some info on the internet that suggests that I have to find a way to remove these pieces of glass, clean them, refoil them, and reinsert them somehow.  I've already contacted my wonderful instructor, so we will see what he has to say about it.  All in all, I'm pleased with the progress I made yesterday, but I'm also so disappointed, I could cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment